JLJC, Inc. is a member of the N.C. Center for Nonprofits, www.ncnonprofits.org.
JLJC, Inc. was founded in 1998 as a compassionate response to the Welfare-to-Work movement and to chronic unemployment in the surrounding city neighborhoods of Piedmont Courts, Belmont, Optimist Park and Villa Heights. Drawn largely from these neighborhoods, typical clients are men and women who have encountered significant hurdles in their lives.
Workforce Development Program
- To help the unemployed and underemployed find and keep living wage jobs.
- Currently have trained, professional, and caring staff eager to arm those who have been chronically unemployed and underemployed with competitive job readiness skills.
- Our program managers, instructors and support staff are all college graduates with several years of experience in workforce development training and education
What we do
- Serve the Charlotte/Mecklenburg County area with an unemployment rate as high as 71% in providing them with skills that employers are expecting in prospective clients.
- This is done in a 4-week program where our clients will learn to:
- Fill out applications and create resumes and cover letters
- Successfully Interview
- Navigate the Internet for job searches and online applications
- Wear appropriate attire
- Gain self-confidence
- Work under pressure
- Be a team player
- Adapt and achieve flexibility in the workplace
- Properly use email and social media
- Learn workplace etiquette and ethics
- Identify skill-sets
- Network and market oneself
- Appropriately communicate in the workplace
- Strategize how to maintain and advance once a job is secured.
- Help strengthen families and help local communities grow and prosper by empowering them with knowledge, tools, coaching, and connections to boost their chances at self-sustainability and in turn, relying less on government assistance programs.
- JLJC serves Charlotte/Mecklenburg County with a focus on the inner-city, disenfranchised neighborhoods where unemployment significantly affects the quality of life in all aspects.
- We do so much more than teach interviewing skills, we provide hope, we listen and we help connect the dots. Finishing our program may be the first thing a client has ever completed
- Bank of America Neighborhood Excellence Initiative, Women’s Impact Fund, the Harvard Alumni Charlotte Chapter High Performance Workplace Award and the LGA Goodstock Award 2009.